Translate

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Purple Perfection

Whenever my Filipino grandma declares that she will make ube, I jump with joy.
This rare treat is a pudding like dessert mostly made of either taro root or purple yam.
Other ingredients include sugar,vanilla extract, sweetened condensed milk and violet food paste.
After boiling the taro root, blending it in the food processor and adding the remaining ingredients, you get a luscious, steaming bowl of purple perfection.
Here are some of my favourite uses for ube.

Pastillas, Filipino milk candy,

Stickos, long cookies filled with ube

and even though this isn't quite ube but a different way to use taro,
taro balls in a warm coconut milk.
but none of these compare to the original.
Lil

4 comments:

  1. I love über ube ... Your pics are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog Lily - you describe ube so well I can almost taste it!'
    Aunty Jody in Bancroft

    ReplyDelete